Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Taking a color infrared image is a different story. This is a raw image using a 590nm infrared filter. Usually, the aim is to have white foliage and a deep blue sky. To accomplish this you must adjust the white balance for the foliage usually by aiming the camera at whatever foliage you want to come out white. In my case, my camera does not have a way to make a custom white balance so I used the Incandescent setting to achieve a workable image. Auto white balance will not work.  The next step is to use the channel mixer in Photoshop to swap red for blue and blue for red.


Open up the Chanel mixer. In the Red output channel, set red to 0% and blue to 100%. Change to the Blue output channel and set Red to 100% and blue to 0%.  In my case, I had to play with different percentages to get a final outcome since my white balance isn't perfect, but here is what it looks like.




After some adjustments, this is the final image



No comments: